Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cay caulker - Dan Rodgerson



















































I got up early in Belize City and walked around for an hour or so. I took some pictures: real rough place to live.

The two guys I was running with convinced me to go with them to Cay Caulker, a tiny island off the coast. I figured that since I had spent two days straight in a bus I needed to do something fun. I planned to leave that night and try to make it to a few more cities. I felt that my mission of going to Moskitia was getting in the way of my adventure. I went to the island with them, and it was truly amazing: an absolute tropical paradise. We had breakfast and looked around....great company, great setting. I am staying!






















Booked a snorkel trip for $17 and swam with rays, turtles, sharks, etc. There was plenty of sun. After snorkeling, I came back, drank a few rum punches at the local hut, and began to think about dinner. I paid $15 for three drinks, lobster, rice, beans, and desert. I think we overpaid.





I really had a fun night with those two clowns; they were always looking for the party. The party crowd was young so I blew in and out, spending some time on a hammock. We laughed and drank too much. I could not get into too much trouble. I found a guy to make us hamburgers at 2am and stumbled home. My new friends were totally amazing. Jimmy was a carpenter, more quiet and smoked discreetly. Martin was the clown, easy to smile, looking for adventure, and wanted to throw a few back and talk about it. We shared a room, lots of drinks, and many laughs.


After getting back to the mainland I shared a cab with two girls from Switzerland. We knew that we were heading in different directions at the bus terminal, so we did not spend the time to get to know each other. They were young and brave. One was incredibly beautiful, but did everything she knew how to hide it. She had her hair pulled into her hat and wore baggy clothes. I would love for my daughters to do that!



I got up early the next morning, hugged the boys goodbye, and set out for Belize City. I caught a bus heading to southern Belize. I fell asleep on the bus and woke up in a tropical jungle with huge mountains. It looked like the place they filmed “King Kong”. As I headed more south, the landscape changed, and the people became darker. I had planed to go to Placencia, but like everything else...my plans changed.





A couple from Europe said that the ferry from Punta Gorda was about half the cost. So, I went on to Punta Gorda. I jumped off the bus in Dangriga for lunch and just to walk around. The poverty is overwhelming here; I am glad I brought the pillow that Chloe made for me. It came in handy!

I am heading into areas with very few foreigners. My guide book is getting tattered. I need a few stamps in this new passport book. I settled into Punta Gorda. I found a bar/restaurant and met the owner and his wife. She was singing karaoke. It was nice to hear anything but reggae music. She sang a duet to Tanya Tucker’s “Delta Dawn”. I didn’t drink tonight as I was still sluggish from the night before.



Volunteer Work

exploroo Profile Daniel Rodgerson

Sun sentinel Article

Daniel Rodgerson Spiritual Quotes

365 Adventure profile

No comments:

Post a Comment