Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Clinic...

Trekking into the jungle is not as easy as it seems. It takes time and planning to get the passport, shots, and gear necessary. My brother, who is a physician, was kind enough to send some warm and fuzzy videos about malaria, botflys, yellow fever, etc. So, off I go to the clinic on Friday to become a pin cushion. Other threats are dengue fever, rabies, hepatitis, tuberculosis, and typhoid fever (not to mention the high probability/certainty of explosive diarrhea).

I get to the clinic and talk with the receptionist. “Did you bring your shot records?” I answer, “Uh, no, I don’t think I have any.” She gave a half-smile, “Well, looks like we will be sticking you a lot today.” As the list of shots began to pile up (three, four, five, six) her half-smile became a full smile. She seemed to enjoy the fact that I would be in pain, or maybe she had some commission on the number of shots she stuck in a day.

“Do you plan to be sexually active down there? Just remember that 10% of the prostitutes in Central America have aids.” She winked at me.

I thought of a dozen missionaries that I knew who brought back walking-talking souvenirs from their missions. Don’t get me wrong, for some it is a pretty good gig. It is a great way for a
mediocre guy to land an attractive wife. Maybe you need to teach her that shoes are required in Wal-Mart or not to do laundry by hand in the front yard; but these are small prices to pay. “You can get a girl out of Central America, but cannot get Central America out of a girl”

The area that I am going is accessed by two routes: no roads. The first option is a small one and a half hour flight on a shaky airplane. One blogger suggested to check the fuel gauge before leaving and to check the blood alcohol level of the pilot before boarding. Considering I need two zanax to fly, or two doubles with Captain Morgan, I will probably take option two: spend the night and day on the deck of a cargo ship for about 24 hours. That option would be nostalgic and memorable even if there was rain, storm, or high winds.

The main reason I went to this clinic was to get a shot for yellow fever. Apparently, the countries I am going to do not require that shot, and it would not be necessary. The suggestion to head to Salt Lake was from my physician. I guess that is what you get when you have someone who is part farmer, part vet, and part doctor give you advice. Before my appointment he was delivering a breached calf.

I have been waiting for my passport like a kid anticipating Christmas. I want to get out of town!




Dan Rodgerson Adrian Telegram Articles

Trip Advisor Profile

Dan Rodgerson Spiritual Quotes

365 Adventure profile

Dan Rodgerson Wordpress Blog

Home Brewtalk Dan Rodgerson

Rodgerson Resume

No comments:

Post a Comment