Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The river - Dan Rodgerson



































I thought I reached the end of the earth but I was wrong. Today we went for a ride/ journey up river to the fields and plantations where they grow rice, beans, bananas and this strange patato called ucca.

We went by canoe and saw about 10 other canoes heading to the fields as well. It was up river about 5 miles which took a few hours. Coming back took much shorter but we were loaded down with potato's and fire wood.

I am very intrigued by the Cayuga which is the hollowed out canoe. The take a huge piece of mahogany and whittle it down to make the boats. They are strong and heavy. Grandmothers going up river though rapids with babies, dogs and chickens.

We dropped three of the boys at the plantation and headed up stream to visit an indigenous village more remote and rustic than here

I am not feeling well. I have had sore glands for three days now, sneezing and runny nose. I hope it is nothing serious. A few people have asked about my health. About 50 mosquito bites, a spider bite and I break out into hives about once per day. The lack of food makes me a bit weak and I have been trying to keep up with their lifestyle. It is demanding. Nothing serious.
Going to crash early again and hopefully sleep off this crud.

Going to try and help with the culinary water project tomorrow. The government paid a contractor to provide a large water tower. The company did half the job and left town.


Dan Rodgerson projects



Dan Rodgerson Home page

Dan Rodgerson Resume

Daniel Rodgerson Wordpress

Myspace Link

No comments:

Post a Comment