Friday, February 6, 2009

A day wandering the streets - Dan Rodgerson




This is the old pier. Watch were you step for a few different reasons. There are four family living under this on the shore side.




This is the old train from Dole bannana company











After my near death experience from costa rica I have no interest in getting on a plane. Since the flight does not leave until tomorrow, I decided to head toward the port to look for passage to Puerto Lempira. While looking for passage you are looking at two things simultaneously. The seaworthiness of the vessel and the trustworthiness of the crew. It is illegal here to book passengers on a cargo ship, so you are already operating in a grey area. There are horror stores that get told around hostels after a few beers about tourists being asked to walk the plank. Of course without their gear money or passports.








I was pleasantly surprised to find a dozen boats in the harbor and three heading in my direction. The boats had been in port for over a week. Apparently they were waiting for two things. A break in the weather and high tide. I found passage on two boats, one for free and the other for about $60. The vessel which was free gave rides to the area to missionaries for Karma points. I became a missionary. Take about Karma. The only problem was that they did not know when they would leave. Maybe sat, maybe Sunday. “Solo dios sabe” only god knows. Figured since I lied about being a missionary, it would be inappropriate to ask him.




I would have rather spent 36 hours on a cargo ship than one hour in a plane but since my time is limited here, I will stick to my flight plan. From there it is a combination of trucks, boats and hollowed out wooden canoes to get to the village.




Spend the day wandering the streets, fishing with a few kids on the pier and taking a bus back and forth to the pier to see if god let the boats go. The old dock was constructed back in the twenties by the dole banana company to transport bananas stateside. It had seen better days. While walking back I saw a guy squatting on the lower level of the bride. I was curious and stopped. Not to self, it is a good rule to never stop and look when someone is squatting. Yes, dropping bombs 15 feet down into the ocean. No sign of paper anywhere. Now that we are on the bathroom subject…. In bus stations they charge to use the bathroom. I asked the attendant if there was a different price for number one or number two because I believe there are significant differences in the impact. He tried to answer but did not realize I was just giving him crap. In more ways that one. It was two and a half cents. No real reason to bargain. Also, they do not throw the paper in the toilet. It goes in the trash can. So yes, you guessed it, you are sitting there inches away from feces from a dozen dudes from a third world country.



I recieved a call from a municipality regarding a potential job. Although I have three interviews set up, this is the one I am really interested in. At first, I thought they would feel strange about getting a call from Honduras but the secretary found it amusing. Hell, anything to stand apart from the pack. Hope it works. The interview is next Friday so I will only be able to spend about 6 days with the tribe. Maybe by that time I will be ready to leave. I have about a 4 day threshold of bathing without hot water. Before I go, I do want to climb a volcano, see some mayan ruins and damn it, I want to see a monkey.

I have to wake up around 4:30 to catch my flight in the morning. Will be another boring night

















No comments:

Post a Comment